Xi’s vision of an aggressive China with global aspirations now dominates all aspects of China.
Xi Wants to be Leader of the Unfree World
- One person, one party rule. A party reinvigorated and expanded in reach. He believes it’s a model for others to follow.
- Xi’s version of state-controlled economy and state industries with markets in specific areas, some but limited reform. Barrier to foreign entry and protectionist policies remain.
- New technologies of surveillance and digital repression. Little civic space, narrow room to criticize, no ability to communicate to like-minded.
- Marginalize, isolate and purge opponents, often in the name of corruption
- Project on aggressive, intimidating regional foreign policy with carrots and sticks, such as Belt and Road and South China Sea Islands.
- Claim to be ready for center stage of the world as a globalist, environmentalist advocate
- Believes Western democracies are dispirited, divided, distracted and withdrawing